My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

8235 Old Troy Pk. #164 Dayton, OH 45424 www.MysticSpiral.com I'm a ceramic bead and jewelry artist in my mid-30s. I've been happily married for about 15 years to a man whose generous support makes it possible for me to work full-time (or almost) as an artist. We have a beautiful baby girl born in August of 2004.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Omphaloskepsis

I had the wonderful opportunity this evening to attend Sandstorm, a "Celebration of Middle Eastern Dance" at the Schuster Center in Dayton. I loved the performances, what I saw of them. Unfortunately, the organizers of the show neglected to consider the opacity of the people who would occupy the seats. As a consequence, no one seated further back than the third row was able to see the performances as they were meant to be viewed. Of the earliest performances, I can only say that several of the performers had lovely hair and/or head coverings. Once we moved to stand next to the wall, we saw some amazing dancing.

And now, I must address myself to the "persons" seated behind us for the performance. I resisted the temptation to ask this question during the performance and had moved out of range to ask it during either the intermission or following the show, so I'll ask here...

"Do you make it a habit to speak through live performances or should those of us unfortunate enough to be seated within earshot consider ourselves honored by your running dialogue throughout the show? I realize that you couldn't see anything. No one could see anything!!!!! But it really did not improve anyone's appreciation of the show to hear you talk. Would you mind, in future, limiting your oratory to the intermission and the period following the show? Thank you so very much."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home