My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

8235 Old Troy Pk. #164 Dayton, OH 45424 www.MysticSpiral.com I'm a ceramic bead and jewelry artist in my mid-30s. I've been happily married for about 15 years to a man whose generous support makes it possible for me to work full-time (or almost) as an artist. We have a beautiful baby girl born in August of 2004.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

I Love Gadgets For My Baby

One of the links in my blogroll (available in the sidebar) is to BabyGadget.net. Everyday, as I browse through the many blogs that I'm subscribed to through Bloglines, I look forward to the cool new stuff that I see on the BabyGadget website. Were it not for the BabyGadget RSS feed, I would never have known about a thermometer for babies that clips to their diaper and will allow you to monitor the temperature of a sleeping baby without waking her thanks to a remote with a built in alarm that will sound if your child's fever rises above a selected temperature. (It may not be as accurate as a rectal temp but if you noticed an increased temperature you could always check with the rectal thermometer before calling the pediatrician.)

I also owe BabyGadget for alerting me to the existance of the Sack n Seat. A portable fabric child restraint which enables parents to secure their infants or toddlers to almost any kitchen or dining chair. A useful trick when you're at the home of a childless (childfree?) family friend or when all the high chairs at the corner bar have been snagged by patrons who are already seated.

BabyGadget also features cool toys. I absolutely adore this wooden anatomy puzzle and these car toys with interchangeable parts are way too much fun to ever let the kids play with.

Much of the baby furniture featured on BabyGadget appeals to me because of its modern aesthetics. (For whatever reason, modern furnishings were not covered in any of the decorative arts courses that I took in college. As a consequence, I never spent an afternoon in an overly warm classroom watching an endless series of slides of the legs or arms of Eames chairs while struggling to stay awake.) A recent post featured modular furnishings by Crival which could be modified in numerous ways so that it was both functional as furnishings and interesting as sculpture and/or puzzle. The editors of BabyGadget and I apparently read at least one common blog because I've seen several items posted that I'd seen first on DaddyTypes.

Whether it's toys, furniture or books, one thing that the BabyGaget site has taught me is that I'm really, really grateful that the Moma Online Store does not have an RSS feed that will keep me posted on new items in their inventory or tell me what's on sale... I can't afford to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home